Turnips 2 Tangerines: Sourdough Starters

August 16, 2012

Sourdough Starters

On the Menu Today~
Start a Sourdough Starter!
There are so many delicious recipes waiting for you to try~





In the back of my refrigerator,
I have 2 sourdough starters going at all times.
I keep the starters in two, 24 oz, wide mouth glass canning jars.

I ordered my dried sourdough starter from: Carls Friends
This is for a free dried starter...you only pay for the stamps.
This dried starter is activated with warm water and flour,
You then need to feed the starter over a period of days.
It is highly active and has a wonderful sour taste.

The next sourdough starter I ordered was from: Breadtopia
I think it was around $5.00.
This starter was a damp, flour paste like disc when I received it.
This starter needed to be activated with water and flour.
You then feed the starter over a period of days.
This is a very active starter with a great sour taste.
You can also make your own sourdough starter from flour and water.
Any of the sites I have listed here are excellent sources.
With easy to follow "how to directions" to get yourself started.
If you want to try a whole wheat sourdough starter or
a rye sourdough starter, (I have one of each)
You can get directions and
recipes at: Weekend Bakery.
A great place for information on sourdough and
breads in general, with many wonderful recipes.

More wonderful recipes can be found at: Sourdough Home
I have used their recipe for Rye Sourdough Bread and
Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread many times.
The recipes on Sourdough Home are great and
the bread turns out every time.
Another good place to visit is: Take Back the Bread
Great recipes, information and
videos on how to make sourdough bread and
how to start a sourdough starter.

All of the sites mentioned are passionate about bread,
bread baking and sourdough.
These sites offer wonderful information, recipes and
are very knowledgeable when it comes to all types of breads and flours.

I have had my starters for 4 months and
they are both going strong.
Every Friday,
(if I haven't used them during the week)
I take them out of the refrigerator,
Line them up on the kitchen cupboard,
Let them stand at room temperature for about 2 hours,
Give them a stir,
Dump out half,
Feed them with 1 cup flour,
(I like to use Dakota Maid White Flour and  I use bottled water @ room temp)
Stir again,
Cover loosely with gauze or cheesecloth,
Let sit at room temperature for a few hours and
Back in the refrigerator they go.

Or if I want to bake during the week,
I take out my starter,
Let's say on Wednesday morning,
Let it come to room temperature,
Give it a stir,
Dump out half,
Feed it by adding 1 cup flour and 1 cup bottled water,
Stir again,
Cover jar with gauze or cheesecloth, securing with a rubber band,
Let it sit on the cupboard for 12 hrs or
Until it's nice and bubbly (active)
Repeat same procedure again,
The starter should be nice and active by Friday.
There are also many recipes that call for
Sourdough starters straight from the refrigerator
Sourdough starters that are at room temperature, unfeed
(the sourdough starter that you dump)

Now the real baking fun begins:)
I have found that every starter takes on it's own personality.
When you take care of your sourdough starter,
it will reward you will a lifetime of delicious bread and bakery goodies:)
Update: As of 03/2014, my starters are still alive and well~
Update: As of 07/2015, still going strong!
Update: As of 07/2016, alive and well.

More Sourdough~
Rye Sourdough Starter
Rye Sourdough Bread
Sourdough Love
Sourdough Coffee Cake and a Start
Sourdough,

Labels: ,