Turnips 2 Tangerines: Dilly Beans {small batch}

August 4, 2017

Dilly Beans {small batch}

On the Menu Today~
Dilly Beans {small batch}


This recipe makes a small batch of dilly beans.
You can make two quart jars like I did or
make four pint size jars.
I know some of your are thinking,
"Why would I want to make only two quart jars or
four pint size jars of dilly beans? Isn't that a waste of time?"


The answers:
I never made dilly beans before,
so if they didn't turn out....so be it.

Today when I stopped at my favorite farm stand,
they were selling 2 1/2 pound bags of green beans for .75 cents.
It was a no brainer....time to give dilly beans a try...
if they didn't turn out....I wouldn't be out much....but if they did turn out....
I'll head back to my favorite farm stand,
get me some more green beans and
can a huge batch of dilly beans!

I went in search for my canning supplies....




Dilly Beans {small batch}

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
  • 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 4 tablespoons granulated white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons whole dill seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
Cooking Directions
  1. Bring the apple cider vinegar, water, salt and sugar to a boil in a saucepan.
  2. Boil gently for 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, mix together dill seed, black peppercorns, mustard seeds, red pepper flakes, and coriander seeds. Divide mixture between two glass canning jars.
  4. Place 1 clove of garlic into each jar.
  5. Tightly pack the green beans into the jars with the spices and garlic.
  6. Pour the vinegar mixture over the green beans in the jars to within 1/4 inch of the tops of the jars. Wipe the rims, fix new two-piece lids in place to finger-tip tightness and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
  7. Carefully transfer to a rack to allow to cool completely.
  8. Carefully remove the rings, wipe down, label, and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. If there are any jars that don't seal, refrigerate immediately after processing. Let the pickled beans sit in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks, before opening and eating.
Green Beans, Vinegar, Garlic, Spices, Dill, Canning

Labels: