Turnips 2 Tangerines: Bean Hash

May 11, 2017

Bean Hash

On the Menu Today~
Bean Hash

This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember.
When I was a kid, my mom made this recipe often...
stretching her food budget as far as she could.


When I was a young mother and
had to stretch my food budget as far as I could...
I made Bean Hash for my own family.
Back then, I made bean hash as a main dish,
serving it with cornbread muffins.
Now I serve bean hash as a side dish for picnics and barbecues.

   
Bean Hash goes by many different names in my family...
such as: Bean Crash, Bobby's Beans, Bean Dish,
and my personal favorite, A$$hole Casserole.
All names are courteous of my son, Bob.




Bean Hash

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 (15 oz) cans pork 'n beans (Van Camp's)
  • 1 (10 oz) can tomato soup, undiluted
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef with chopped onion, season with salt and pepper.
  2. Brown until ground beef is no longer pink inside. Drain off any fat.
  3. Stir pork n' beans, tomato soup, ketchup and brown sugar into ground beef mixture. 
  4. Stir until combined.
  5. Simmer over medium low heat for 1 hour, stirring often.
Beans, Baked Beans, Ground Beef, Casserole

Labels: ,